Gentle is an adjective. An adjective is something that describes or modifies nouns or pronouns. A noun is the name of something a person, place or thing. A pronoun is a word such as I, he, she, we or you.
From this we know that gentle would modify something or someone. It would modify, not change, actions or people. This is powerful. Gentle is a practice that makes things softer, soothing, non-abrasive. If we can keep this in mind than we can carry gentle everywhere we go.
For me it was important to realize and learn that the practice of gentle does not mean passive. Gentle does not mean complacent or bland. Gentle doesn’t mean giving in or being weak. Nope it doesn’t mean any one of these things.
Gentle is a practice to modify what I already do. It gives me the softness I look for in my new adventures. Gentle is something I need. Perhaps that is why gentle is my recurring life lesson.
I’d like to share how I practiced gentle this week:
- When asked questions I didn’t always answer automatically. I took a moment, a brief moment, to ask if I had an answer. If I didn’t have an answer I would say just that. Let me get back to you on this I need to think and feel.
- I made my cup of coffee a ritual. After breakfast I prepare my coffee: I take my favorite mug, I place a k cup in the Keurig, I watch the black stream steam in the cup, I pour a teaspoon of Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil, I add vanilla hemp milk, I take my moms whisk, I blend the coffee, as I blend I think of my mothers hands when she would blend steaming Chocolate (in spanish) Abuelita, I let the thought of my mothers hands be vivid, finally I sit and all I do is drink my coffee.
- I put my phone on airplane mode while sleeping and having breakfast. This is no phone time. I don’t take the airplane mode off until I leave the house for work.
- I downloaded my mediation app onto my IPad. I meditate before I get out of bed. Its’ now on my IPad so I don’t have to switch the airplane mode on my phone off. Easy fix.
- I hug my kids as soon as I get out of bed. I always hug my kids but now I always always hug them as soon as I’m out of bed if we are in the same house of course.
- I went to yoga 5 times and spin twice. I exercised even when I didn’t really feel like it. Sometimes gentle is a choice not a natural reflex.
What did you do to be gentle? What can do this coming week to be gentle? Please do share! I’d love to hear from you in comments or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
All the love,